In our past episodes, we've talked a lot about people from different jobs 我们在之前的节目中谈了很多人的不同的工作
but we haven't yet visited a very important and common question 但是我们还没谈到一个很重要也很通常被问到的问题
that people often ask in the middle of their career which is 一个人们经常在事业中途问的问题
What it's like to go to business school? 去商学院怎么样?
What if I take an MBA program? 读个MBA怎么样?
My friend, Ying, went to Wharton Business School a few years ago 我的朋友Ying几年前去了沃顿商学院
and today I wanted to invite her to join us and talk about her experience going to business school 今天我想邀请她来谈谈她在商学院的感受
Welcome, Ying! 欢迎你, Ying!
Hi everyone! Great to meet you over D.N.A.! 大家好!很高兴在D.N.A.与大家见面!
We're so glad to have you today! 很高兴有你加入!
I chose to go to business school for three major reasons 我选择去商学院有三个原因
The first is - I grew up and went to college in China 首先,我在中国长大和读大学
so I didn't really have oversea experience in education 我没有海外留学的经历
so I think getting educated in the US and at Wharton Business School 我觉得在美国在沃顿上学
could be a very good complementary experience 会是一个很不错的经历
and the second - in my past job also my current job, I did a lot of healthcare work 其次,在过去和现在的工作中,我从事了很多与医疗健康有关的工作
and Wharton has a very good healthcare focused program 沃顿有一个很好的医疗健康专攻的项目
In that program, I get to build my knowledge and also build my network in healthcare 在项目里,我可以增长知识并且建立这方面的朋友圈
and the third thing is also an important reason that 再者,也是很重要的一个原因
I work for a consulting company and it actually... 我在咨询公司工作
Yeah, that's how we know each other actually 对啊,我们就是这么认识的
Yeah, Yuji and I both worked at the same company before 对,Yuji和我都曾在同一个公司上班
and company actually sponsored my tuition 公司赞助了我的学费
That actually relieves the financial stress a lot 这就大大减去了经济负担
so that's also part of the reason 这也是一部分原因
Which is a really good deal - being a consultant, you can go to MBA for free 这是一个很好的安排。作为咨询顾问,可以免费读MBA
How many companies can sponsor that, right? 有多少公司会赞助啊!
Overall I actually really really like it! 总体来说,我真的很喜欢!
To me... I went right back to the same company after the business school program 对我来说,我毕业后马上就回同一个公司上班
so overall it's like a two years of great experience 所以两年总体就是一个很好的体验
a little bit like a vacation to me 有点像在放假
Really?! 真的?!
so a lot of people was actually quite nervous going to business school 很多人去商学院前会很担心
because it's like... 比方说
I haven't been a student for so many years 我好多年没有做过学生啦
what if I couldn't understand the professor 我听不懂教授讲课怎么办
what if I couldn't score an A 我拿不到A怎么办
so it wasn't that nervous to you? 所以对你来说完全不是问题?
I think the academic part is the least thing that people worried about, to be frank 老实讲,学业是最不让人担心的
If you reach top 5%-10%, the school will give you a title 如果你得到前5%-10%的成绩,学校会给你一个荣誉
a recognition like "graduate with distinction" 像荣誉毕业证书这类的
Everybody else is the same 其他所有人都是一样的
So that really takes off the stress 所以这就会去掉很多的学业压力
When we went to college, we have to get an A or A+ 我们上大学的时候,必须要去争取A或者A+
but it's no longer there (MBA)完全不需要
I really really like the travels 我超级喜欢旅游的
Oh the travels! Tell me more about that! 啊,旅游!多说说!
I got to travel to a lot of places with a school program or student organized tracks 我通过学校或学生组织的项目,旅游了很多地方
For example, I went to a learning trip to Middle East 比方说,我去参加了一个中东的学习之旅
visited Israel, Turkey, and Jordan 去了以色列,土耳其,和约旦
Wait, are you serious? The school took you guys to Middle East, and for study? 等等,真的吗?学校带你们去中东, 去学习?
The funny thing about this kind of trip is that 这个旅游好玩的地方就在于
it's a mix of fun and study 寓教于乐
so we get to visit companies from alumni network and get to know the country much better from a business perspective 我们去了校友的公司,从商业的角度,更好地了解了这个国家
but meanwhile, we also have a lot of time to party and have fun and explore 但同时,我们也有很多时间派对玩耍
Is that 90% of the time? 是不是90%的时间(是玩耍)?
Exactly! 是的!
And I think another really important thing is 还有一个很重要的方面就是
I get to know a lot of people that I don't think I would have a chance to know 我认识了很多我本来没有机会认识的朋友
if I don't go to this program 如果我不去(MBA)项目的话
Now I think every MBA program has a pretty diverse background of students 每个MBA项目都有很多不同背景的学生
They come from all the different industries 他们从各个不同的行业而来
have all the cool experience before 之前有各种酷炫的经历
and that's really great pool of talents 那是一个很好的才华聚集的地方
There are a few 有几个方面
Not directly my experience 不是我直接的经历
But overall, I think first, it's two years of time 但是总体来说,首先是两年的时间
so that's a lot of opportunity cost 这是很大的机会成本
and the second is, it highly depends on what career you are pursuing 其次是要看你追求什么行业
and if the job market you are interested in really value an MBA degree 你感兴趣的行业是否看中MBA
I see. Do you think nowadays the companies and societies value MBA program as much as they did in the past? 我明白了。 你觉得现在公司、社会对MBA还像以前一样看中吗?
Well, it depends on the industry 要看行业
Overall, if it's a corporate world, traditional big companies, they still value the degree 总体来讲,如果是那些传统大企业,他们还是看中的
and they have MBA programs to develop you into an executive path 他们也有后MBA项目来帮助你成长为高管
but now more and more people are interested in entrepreneurs and startups 但是现在,越来越多的人对创业或者小公司感兴趣
and I don't think that startups value MBA degree as much as the traditional corporate employers 我认为小公司不像传统大企业那么看中MBA
What about money? 钱是不是问题?
Well, I'm the exception 我是例外
Yeah true! 是啊
But you may raise a really good point 但是你可能说中了一点
Money is a concern 钱的确是一个顾虑
because in a typical case, you'll come out of the school with a debt 因为通常你毕业后会有一笔(学生)债
so that actually influence your career decision 所以这会影响你的事业选择
because you will make more risk-averse decisions with a big debt 因为在有债的情况下,你会做出风险规避的选择
Well, interesting enough, I remember the stat 很好玩,我记得那些数据
In the class coming in, 1/3 of the students have consulting background 开学的时候,有三分之一的人是咨询背景
and when you graduate, still around 1/3 of people joined consulting 到毕业的时候,还是有三分之一的人去加入咨询
Before the financial crisis, Warton was very strong at Finance 金融危机以前,沃顿在金融方面很强
so there are a lot of jobs on the (Wall) Street 很多人会去华尔街工作
but after the the financial crisis, and the recent years of all the booming in the technology 但是金融危机之后,在最近的科技行业的风潮下
I think the investment job shrinks a little bit 投资行业的工作减少了不少
and more and more people joined tech companies, startups 越来越多的人加入了科技公司、创业公司
That become really popular 这变得非常流行
Having their own startup is pretty popular 自己开公司也挺流行的
Do a lot of MBA students start to try building their own companies during the MBA program? 有没有很多MBA学生在上学期间尝试创业?
Did they try out so that you could make a decision after graduation 他们有没有去试试,然后毕业的时候就知道
whether they should invest full-time into their company? 自己要不要全心投入到创业里
Yeah, I do have some friends start trying out some different ideas 是的,我有些朋友就去试了一些不同的点子
because for them, this is a great time 对他们来说,这是一个很好的时间
You have more time than before where you work 你比以前上班的时候有更多的时间
and you have other professors and the other classmates as your partners 你有教授、同班同学能够成为你的合伙人
and there are a lot of classes about 还有很多相关的课程
how to write a business plan 怎么写商业计划
how to get funding 怎么得到投资
to get your basic skills there 让你有基本的技能
So it's a great chance to give it a try 所以这是一个很好的尝试的机会
Typical advice I would give is 一般我会给的建议是
First, really think through what is the career you want to pursue? 首先,想清楚你想去什么行业
It brings back to the question 回到前面的问题
The job market you are interested in, do they actually value MBA degree? 你感兴趣的行业,是不是真的看中MBA?
if they do value and MBA can be a pivotal point in your career 如果他们的确看中MBA,并且MBA能给你的事业提供一个重要的中转
I'll say go for it 那就去吧
but if you can advance your career without an MBA degree 但是如果你的事业进展并不需要MBA
You may give it a second thought 你就要再考虑考虑了
Second, for sure, is financial 其次,当然,就是经济上
Have a solid financial plan 要有一个扎实的财务计划
and think ahead what the debt will mean to you in two years 想想两年后这个(学费)债务对你意味着什么
That's also a part you need to plan on 这也是你要计划好的
Usually you may need 6 months 通常你可能要六个月的时间
6 month for preparation?! 六个月的时间准备?!
Well, not the full time 是的,不是全职
but this is ongoing preparation 但是这是一个持续的过程
because there are different parts of the preparation 因为有好几个不同的准备部分
so typically, there are three parts of materials you have to get 通常,你要准备三部分材料
First is your language - the GMAT 第一是你的语言测试 - GMAT
and for international students, TOEFL test 对于国际学生而言,还有TOEFL
so these ones, if you can get them out of the way as early as possible, that's the greatest 这些你能越早准备越好
The second, and also the most important part of your application material is your essay 其次,也是最重要的部分,就是你的申请文
The school will release their essay question around September-October 学校会在九月、十月的时候发布申请文的问题
and then you have a few months to get your essay ready 然后你有几个月的时间来准备
Are the essay questions usually common? 申请文的问题一般差不多吗?
Essay questions are very typical 都很典型
They are all similar 都差不多
It's like why you want to go to business school 比如说你为什么想去商学院这类的?
Why do you want to go to business school? 为什么想去商学院
Stanford has this very famous question 斯坦福大学有个很有名的问题
What matters to you the most and why? 什么对你最重要?为什么?
It's easy to get a draft, but it takes a lot of time to keep refining it 有个草稿很容易,但是精简的过程很花时间
and bring it to the next level 要把申请文提高到上一个层次
Is it also a good idea to consult people who graduated from similar business school? 是不是也可以咨询这个学校毕业的人?
How they wrote their essay? What the school actually values? 他们怎么写申请文?学校看中些什么?
and help them to refine the draft? 得到一些帮助来改善自己的草稿?
Yeah, that's actually the best practice 是的,这是最好的方法
Gotcha, so you gotta budget enough time to fine-tune your story 懂了,所以你要预算足够的时间来精简自己的故事
And it's also a soul-searching experience 这也是一个精神探索的过程
Do some meditation - What do I really want? 做一些冥想,我到底想要什么?
Exactly, it's a great opportunity for yourself 是的,这是一个很好的机会
Well, think about less about... like "oh I want to get a Business School offer" 少想想 "哦,我想拿一个商学院的录取证书"
but more at the mid of your career, you'd really take a break 更多的想想,在你事业的中期,停顿一下
and to think through who you are, what you really want, and what you want to do in the future 好好想想你是谁,你到底想要什么,未来想做什么
And what are the next phases? 接下来还有什么步骤?
Then the third part of your application package is recommendation letters 第三部分就是准备推荐信
so that also takes some time to process 这也很花时间处理
because you have to find either your boss or client - people who know you 因为你要找你的老板或是客户,一些认识你的人
to write you a letter and to make sure they submit on time 帮你写信并且保证准时提交
I can see why people say that 我能理解人们为什么这么说
But I don't think that's true 但是我觉得这不对
Well, there are a lot of parties 的确是有很多派对
If you want, you can go to party everyday 如果你想,你可以每天去派对
but all the social, or party, or learning 但是所有的社交、派对、学习
all come to the same thing or same question - What do you actually want? 最终都是回到同一个问题, 你到底想要什么?
If you want to be more academic and spend more time in knowledge, you can for sure do that 你如果想更多地学习,你完全可以这样做
But if you want to be a party queen, it's okay too 但是如果你想做一个派对皇后,这也是可以的
I see. You also mentioned if someone didn't have business degree, it's actually pretty good 明白了。你也提到过如果有的人之前没有商业学历,这也是一个不错的(机会)
The business courses could help them get to know a lot of accounting, finance knowledge 商业课程能帮助增长会计、金融等方面的知识
That's a true statement for the bigger programs 对于大项目来讲,是这样的
Like 800 people, there is no way you will know everyone 比如800人的项目,你不可能认识所有人
but in a smaller program, I think people are very well connected 但是小一些的项目,人们还是可以都熟悉的
and even in the big program, we go to classes in small cohorts 即便是大的项目,我们也会分小组上课
We have health cohort 我们有医疗健康方面的小组
Each cohort is like 70-80 people 每个小组有70-80个人
so even you don't know people outside of your cohort, you will know people within your smaller class pretty well 所以即便你不认识小组之外的人,小组里的人还是可以很熟悉的
You get some really good insights 你真的是有很好的内部消息啊
Thanksgiving is the first holiday after school that you go back to your old community 感恩节是上学后第一个节日,你会回到以前的圈子
and kind of have a reality check in your relationship 然后对自己的恋爱关系有一个实际检验
so what happened is 一般是这样的
When you go to business school, you're kind of... We always call it's another bubble 当你去了商学院后,你会进入,我们通常说是另一个"泡泡"
You are super busy 你超级忙
You go to all the parties 你会去很多派对
and sometimes you start to feel apart from your partner 有时候你会觉得离自己的情侣疏远了
and you get on different paths of growth 你们有了不同的成长轨道
And also the missing part of this statement is 但是有一个没有提到的方面就是
There are a lot of couples who met each other in this program 有很多情侣是在(MBA)项目遇到的
Oh yeah...Which leads to my next 哦,是啊。这就带到了我的下一个话题
Yeah, that's true 这是真的
MBA is totally worth it for myself MBA对我自己来说很值得
but again it's very individual decision 但是这是一个非常个人的决定
A lot of personal consideration goes into it 有很多个人因素要考虑
so you will hear a lot of things 所以你会听到很多说法
Some people say it's totally worth it 有些人会说这完全值得
It's a very transformational experience 这是一个大转变
and some people say "oh, it's not worth it!" 有的人会说 "哦,这完全是浪费!"
"I didn't get what I want" "我没有得到自己想要的"
But again, it all comes to one thing 但是这都要回过来说到一点
If you know what you want, you can for sure get it in the program 如果你知道自己想要什么,那你就可以在项目中得到
Thank you again for joining us and sharing your perspectives 谢谢你今天加入我们,分享你的看法
Hope today's show really helped to demystify 希望今天的节目能够帮助大家揭秘
What it's like to go to business school, to take an MBA program 去商学院读MBA的生活是怎样的
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét