[Music] Hi everybody and welcome to The
Balancing Act.
We are having some fun
today I'm Julie Moran and I'm Olga Villaverde.
And we are looking forward to today's show.
We're going to go behind
the scenes with music royalty Emilio and Gloria Estefan.
their story is now a Broadway musical so stay
tuned for all the fun.
That's right we're gonna get
on our feet right?
That's right!
Plus I'll be in the kitchen with Chef
Stuart O'Keeffe using a Star ingredient,
in fact it's right here apple cider vinegar.
You can use it for
so much more than just cooking.
That's what my mom says, digestion.
There you go.
Even for the hair.
Oh my gosh, I didn't
know that.
Lots of secrets coming up.
All right now.
Let's get started [Music]
Broadway Balances America brought to you
by Broadway Across America.
Bringing the best of Broadway to a city near
you.
Okay time now for Broadway Balances
America.
Today, On Your Feet the musical.
The story of international music sensations Emilio and Gloria
Stefan and they are your buddies and
friends.
I love them too and let me tell you
Amber Milt and I, we spent some great time
with them.
We toured Miami, you know the 305.
We also toured with the young lady who's
taking on the role of Gloria for the
national tour.
So take a look everybody
[Music] Her voice, his vision,
their story.
"On Your Feet", will have you dancing in your
seat!
As the true story of Emilio and Gloria Estefan is
played out in all its magical, musical moments.
(music.)
I don' know if a lot of people
out there know this, but obviously this story could not
have been done without both of you.
The love, almost 40 years of marriage.
That's right.
Yeah.
It doesn't feel like 40 years.
It feels like a split second honestly.
Maybe because of the life that we lived has
been so fast.
I mean we've traveled so much.
We love each other - that's the whole
thing.
Well that too.
I mean time, I can't believe it.
It feels like yesterday to me still
that I met him.
I was 17 when I met him, and I joined the band
after that so it's a lifetime but it's been fantastic and
beautiful and we grow more together I think as we've gone
through so many difficult things.
There's a lot of love and respect.
We fell in love before the craziness.
When you're able to have the career
and you're able to inspire people and it's a Latino story
but it's really minorities, it's about dreams.
We live in a time where people have to have
dreams, and they know that we live in a country where anything
you want it can happen.
It's not only about music, but what
Gloria says, it's about love, to be able to inspire a whole
generation, it's a beautiful thing.
Beautiful.
(music.)
And their broadway musical, is now
on the road.
It's very exciting and reason the show is
called "On Your Feet" is not
because of the song Get On Your Feet, although, you know, yeah
that helps.
When we came to this country, you start a whole new
life every time we had a battle for our music, and stand by what
we wanted, they would knock us down and say this isn't gonna
happen, no, and we would just fight and get back up on our
feet and then literally after my accident, there's so many
layers of story: the family story, the love story - the love
story to music, the love story to our country and also our
native Cuba because the music is very much alive in us.
It was, it's still, I watch and every
time I say okay I'm not going to cry this time, I know
what's going to happen, but forget it, they, there's just
a lot of emotional things.
Like Gloria said, it's a story
about so many things but everything is positive, even
through hard times, we call it On Your Feet, many people have
to get on your feet many times in life.
Get ready to get on your feet.
Yes absolutely!
I can't wait to see the Miami
audience, because they're going to get.
Well that
you know!
Well, The 305.
The 305 is going to be crying, Crying, I
know when there are Miami people in the audience, there's
little nuances from Miami like, uhh.
Y100, Power96, Casanovas.
Casanovas!
I'll know their ages too, depending,
because I know their reactions to everything.
(music.)
The young lady who is playing Gloria
on the national tour is Miami native Christie Prades.
I'm very happy that both of Mauricio
whose starring as Emilio and Christy have been on Broadway
multiple times.
She's vivacious she's an amazing dancer, because
that's her forte.
She's got a lot of energy!
Yes, oh yes, definitely.
I just think that she's going to bring her each
Gloria's brought their own nuance I loved her choices would
that I saw her make in the acting side and I think she's
going to be phenomenal I think she's going to represent
wonderfully and Mauricio as well so we're really thrilled.
I think both of them bring a
little bit of pride, they're from Miami, their family knows
the story, fantastic she has such a beautiful voice, a lot of
great energy a lot of chemistry between her and Mauricio, which
it tells a lot.
That's going to be very important.
Because it's a marriage on stage.
Yes.
If you think about it.
Absolutely.
(music.)
Coming up, Amber sits down with Christie at
the Estefan kitchen and learns about her Miami.
(music.)
(music.)
Well we're here at the Estefan Kitchen doing two of my favorite
things: we're having girl talk and eating food.
So Christine what was it like when Gloria
told you, you were going to be playing her, on this national
tour?
It was an indescribable feeling, so much so I didn't
even answer her right away and it's all recorded so people
can go back and see that moment.
How would you like to head up the tour?
Is this real?
Yes!
If you want that tour, you will be
staring in On Your Feet, in your home town of Miami.
And that's when I kind of broke out and was
just nervous and then kind of shocked in front of all these
people after promoting the tour and doing a performance for her.
So I couldn't believe it, I though it was just like her
playing around and to be asked in front of everyone there.
I was in complete shock.
I mean she is, she is royalty.
So I mean we're here, kicking off
the tour in Miami, her hometown, your hometown, what does that
feel like?
It feels like an enormous amount of pressure, to
be, to be totally honest, it's exciting, so there's a
tremendous amount of responsibility that I feel as
far as honoring her work, her personality, how she is as an
artist and human being.
You know, personify this icon, is a
tremendously proud moment for them, for myself, and honored to
be part of that.
This looks amazing by the way.
Yes!
Avocado is basically my life.
Me too.
I can have it every day.
You're a Miami girl though and you were
on On Your Feet on broadway, so you've returned to Miami, how
does it feel to be home?
It feels amazing.
I'm obsessed with the beach.
I um, I love the water.
I love the Cuban culture and to be around it once again
and to refuel for the show, and for the road, it's an
incredible feeling.
It's nice to come here, take a step back
and be reminded you know of where I started and my roots and
my family.
What's really important.
As you go out on tour, as you're playing this
role, what sort of things are you doing to prepare yourself.
Then gym is my best friend, so, working out, staying with that
cardio, and staying fresh, body, soul and mind - like all of
that.
Your body is your machine.
I remember especially doing 8 shows a week and having that
experience under my belt, I've really learned that you need to
take care of yourself mentally before anything.
So, did you actually grow up eating like
this, because I gotta say, the Cuban food is amazing.
It's amazing.
Amazing.
Yes.
I did.
These are all traditional Cuban recipes.
My mom makes this almost everyday.
And she still does.
When I come home she makes it from scratch.
And she makes them bomb, I don't think
anyone can compete with her.
Do you have in your contract that
you have to eat every meal from here.
I think I should, I mean I will.
I'm feeling I should put that in there, just to you know
keep the essence and keep the method acting alive.
Maintain the roots.
(music.)
I feel like everything has been placed at
the right time, it all stemmed from when I was younger, so I
feel like without us realizing my mom was like prepping me, for
this and I believe everyone has a destiny, it's just a meant
to be sort of thing.
So when audiences come to see the show,
what do you want them to feel when they walk away?
So many goosebumps and so many emotions
of like this is a story of me, this is a story of possibility
of fulfilling that American dream, whatever it is it may be
in your life, and I see the audiences and I see the
transformation from the beginning of the show to the end
and I feel that they connect like that in the same way.
I know, it's not hoping, I know
taking it round the nation, it needs to be on the road, it
needs to be shared around the world like she did when she
shared her music.
Well I think we need to cheers to the Estefan
Kitchen.
Yes, I'l do it with my mojito.
Ohh.
Your fancy mojito.
Cheers!
You know what?
I wanna take a little bit of a
roll, I want to see your Miami.
Absolutely, let's do it.
Let's go.
(music.)
This would not be a girls trip without a
little bit of music.
Okay. (singing) 1, 2, 3, 4 Come on
baby say you love me.
5, 6, 7, times!
Oh yeah!
They tell me you're shy boy.
But I want you just the same.
Don't play innocent with me.
You know it's just not fun and games.
Sing it girl!
When I look into your eyes.
So much passion burns inside.
But if you need some coaxing I will do it.
Step by step there's nothing to it.
1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me.
5-6-7 times.
8-9-10-11 I'm just gonna keep on counting.
Until you're mine.
Okay, what does it feel like to be in your
hometown, playing Miami royalty?
Um, it is absolutely thrilling.
It is exciting, everyone knows Gloria here.
She is a Latin Pop Princess, she is, her and Emilio
are like the presidents' of Miami.
Yeah.
So it feels incredible to be able to have
the opportunity to portray her and bring her story to life once
again in Miami.
I do want to show you a quick video.
Oh I'd love to see.
Christie did with my cohost Amber.
Oh!!
Come on, shake your body baby, do the
conga.
I know you can't control yourself any longer Come on,
shake your body baby, do the conga.
I know you can't control yourself any longer Is she
auditioning too?
Amber did pretty good.
Yes!
This is like all the parties.
(music.)
Come on, shake your body baby, do the
conga.
It's like such high energy!
It's literally breathing, holding your breath
until the song finishes.
And it's working those
syncopations.
Lon our musical director and then Clay our
assistant musical director they were very, very strict about
really breaking down the words and you have to have those
little breaks in between because Gloria is so good at that and
she's known for that you it has to be Come, on, shake, your,
body, baby, do, the, conga.
I, know, you, can't, control,
yourself, like all of that we had to, even the ensemble
numbers everybody - it was like a training camp just for Conga.
(music.)
Time for a quick drive by to say Holla, to Christie's
Abuela.
(music.)
This is my grandmother, she's gonna
(speaks Spanish) Thank you guys!
I'm happy now.
(music.)
This is your neighborhood.
Yes.
I mean being back her here in
front of your school, being back in your hometown, how does it
make you feel?
I feel like, ready to sing!
I feel like singing right now.
(music.)
It's for Southwest, for Southwest.
Gloria: Ha!
Southwest.
You say I know it's a waste of time.
There's no use trying.
So scared that life's gonna pass you by.
Your spirit dying.
Not long ago.
I could feel your strength and your
devotion What was so clear, is now overcast.
Gloria: You know what's incredible?
This song has made a comeback!
Deep in your heart is the answer.
Find it, I
know it will pull you through.
Get on your feet.
Get up and make it happen.
Get on your feet.
[Music]
[Music] The uses of apple cider vinegar
are infinite from cleaning to aiding
in digestion and of course
delicious recipes.
Chef Stuart is in the kitchen
with Olga right now.
Today we are in the
kitchen with Chef Stuart O'Keeffe and he
is exploring ways we can use Star's
unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar.
Good morning.
Good morning.
This is a must-have in my pantry.
That's right it's
a must-have in everybody's pantry you so
much of that and also for your medicine
cabinet.
That's, really?
Yes!
Lot's you can do.
Let's talk about food, cuz I'm hungry,
always.
How do you use this?
What are youy gonna make for us?
So I'm gonna make a beautiful slaw
that's gonna go with a pulled chicken
sandwich.
We're gonna get into that, that's so
good.
Alright and just to start it off, so I
just have some apples right here.
Okay And we got some slaw.
You want to add that in.
The colors are fantastic and how you're mixing it up.
And we're just gonna season that up with
some salt and pepper.
While you're doing that I'm actually noticing
over here you made this looks like a tea
for me.
It's really a good
party tea.
What's in this?
So this tea has hot water, lemon,
juice, raw honey a tiny bit of cinnamon
and of course apple cider vinegar.
a that is so good and speaking of lemon I mean I
know you're cooking there but I don't know
about you every morning I always put a
little bit of lemon in my water and
sometimes I'll alternate and I know a lot of
people may be surprised when they see this
but.
Do you do this?
I do do this I do this every single
morning I look I know what it does it just
gives me like a boost in the morning
I'll go to the gym or something.
It cleanses the
body and you know it doesn't taste bad
it's actually very good it's great for
your digestive system and sometimes they
even say weight loss.
All I would say
just make sure you dilute it about 16
ounces of water from a two tablespoons
cause I'm kind of harsh okay if you just
have it like straight up.
All right, so
you're mixing everything up.
Okay, so we got that.
We got apples, we got
slaw.
We got some strong pepper and we're
gonna add in the good stuff at the end.
Star's filtered organic apple cider
vinegar is made with fresh organically
grown crushed apples.
So really has that nice burst of
flavor.
Stars ultimately a trusted Authority in
a Mediterranean food and it just gives a
nice brightness to the slaw.
Speaking of brightness this is very
bright.
What did you bring here?
This is a great dressing so you have your
apple cider vinegar, your
extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper
and you got some honey.
Some really nice.
You know what it is?
I really enjoyed this kind of
dressing this summer.
With lot of
like a fruits in your in your salad.
It's light.
Just because you have the
sweetness of the honey in there and give the zing.
Of apple cider vinager.
oh my gosh great that's so
let's put this on a little bit of a tuna
and a salad and spinach oh my gosh all
right let's go back to the slaw.
Finding many ways of using this.
you got that slaw already.
Okay.
So let's just make some sliders Okay.
By the way while you're making the
sliders, I am gonna give you little bit
of trivia here.
Did you know that women use apple, actually men too use
apple cider vinegar for the hair?
Stop.
Really!
Yes and it's a face toner as
wel.
You can use it as a face toner and
if you get burned from the Sun, it
relieves pain.
See, living in Los Angeles
I need that.
Sometimes I get burned and I need some
protection like that.
A show with education.
But your hair?
I need to start using it.
Is that why your hair so shiny?
Thank you, I love you!
It's something I do want to ask you while
you're putting it together.
I've heard that this has and if I'm
saying it wrong, I'm sorry, but like the
mother.
What is that?
So the mother is
basically a lot of apple cider vinegars
are filtered so the mother is taken out
which is basically a good bacteria and
there.
The mother is believed to be rich
in health boosting natural proteins,
healthy bacteria and acetic acid.
Probiotics and nutrients.
Exactly!
That makes perfect sense.
Good for the gut.
So you put a pair of tongs there.
Okay.
So you want to just add some slaw on to
this.
Okay.
And we will make ourselves these beautiful
little treats.
Can I put one up for you?
Yes.
Here we go.
A little bit for you.
Maybe I put too much?
I'm sorry.
No that's perfect.
We're gonna have to clean this a little bit.
That slaw with like a fried chicken sandwich as
well.
So good in a hot chicken sandwich.
It is so good.
Did you see the mess I just made?
Good, means you're having a good time the kitchen.
Yes, I know.
Which we have to clean the kitchen.
Which by the way, another trivia, you can
use apple cider vinegar to mop the floor with water.
So we went to all healthy here, we're gonna have a bit of
fun here.
Why not?
Here we go.
Alright, so if you want to learn more
about the great benefits of apple cider vinegar
check out the most highly recommended
products from the ultimate trusted
Authority and Mediterranean food.
StarFineFoods.com or just go to our website,
thebalancingact.com and guys please don't forget to share
your recipes with us
and if you want more recipes do check
out my cook book, The Quick Six Fix.
And I cannot be selfish.
I love my crew so you guys are hungry.
Kurt, everybody, Gina, Diago.
Everybody grab a some slaw, right here, eat up!
This is the best!
Ahhh.
Fantastic!
Oh my god look at the mess I just made.
[Music]
[Music] you know it was so fun to see
you with your friends today.
Yeah you know we even got to do a little bit of conga
together.
Really?
Oh yeah.
Emilio and Gloria, they have rhythm.
You know that!
You got rhythm girl.
The rhythm is gonna
get you.
That's right.
The rhythm is gonna get you.
Alright, we want you to head to our
Facebook page and our website and follow
us on Twitter.
That's right and thanks
for watching.
And remember, Get On Your Feet!
See you next time.
So long everybody
[Music]
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét